On Coronation weekend we were pleased to have dry weather and some sunshine as 28 of us explored the history of the Troopers Hill and Crews Hole area.
We first walked down through the Woods, talking about its history as Malvern Road tip or 'mudville' as the papers in the 1960s refered to it and also the Friends family who used to live in a cottage next to the Hill.
We joined the river near the site of the Lamb Inn. We then headed towards the footbridge to St Anne's, with Rob talking about the Hit or Miss pub and Susan giving a brief history of one of its licencees, Robert Inkerman Weight. Rob also mentioned a forthcoming talk by Barton Hill History Group on the engineering company Lysaghts who built the bridge in 1957.
We then walked back up the river stopping to talk about the Wesleyan Chapel (& Archibald Vickers who laid the foundation stone in 1860) and then Butlers Tar Works.
From Conham we made our way up the Deer Path to Dundridge Park before heading through the lanes towards Troopers Hill where we talked about the White House and Rob showed the photograph of the 1953 Coronation celebrations at Crews Hole Methodist Chapel. Walking up the Hill we stopped to talk about coal mining and the Hill's wildlife at which point we were pleased to be given a flying display by a kestrel.
Rob also mentioned the description of the "the barren and quarried hill, with its yellow spots of gorse and broom, and its purple shade of heath" written in the 1830s by Elizabeth Emra, but still being appropriate today.
When we reached the chimney Rob described the copper and brass industries and their links to the slave trade while Susan distributed feedback forms.
Supported by the East Bristol Liveable Neighbourhood project
This walk is part of Bristol Walk Fest 2023