<< Friends' Home Page | << Wildlife Page |

BBQ Fire Risk

--- Posting from our now closed Forum ---
About 1.45pm this lunchtime I spotted a puff of smoke from the steps leading up from the square chimney on Troopers Hill Rd. As this had been the area that went up in flames in 2010
I picked up the shovel, 2 x 2 litre bottles of water, mobile phone and ran across.

A white-haired young woman and 2 young men were grilling their 4 Morrison's burgers on a disposable BBQ. The BBQ was on the path, not touching anything flammable and I was assured they would tidy up afterwards. Not wishing to be Mrs Grumpy, despite all the many signs around Troopers Hill asking that no BBQs be brought to this special site to avoid damage to the acid heath and grassland, I pointed out that BBQs were not a good thing to have on a Local Nature Reserve and wished them enjoyment of their BBQ.

At 2.45pm a voice from him indoors who is working from home today said "They've gone and left the BBQ burning".

I picked up the shovel, 2 x 2 litre bottles of water, mobile phone, camera, oven gloves and ran across. Have you heard this before ;-)

Using the ovengloves to move the BBQ to a flat surface, I then applied water

The young people had thrown the Morrisons bag containing their rubbish into the nearest set of brambles, drinks cans thrown separately. Remind me to stop and put on trousers next time. I did manage to retrieve it with no blood spilt although I have not yet checked my dress for rips.

Then home with the debris to recycle 2 x cherry cola cans, plastic bottle and cardboard. BBQ tray in in the wheelie bin.

I like young people, I think Troopers Hill is wonderful and it is there for all to enjoy and that includes the wildlife. So all I will say is, if you really, really cannot survive without having a BBQ, PLEASE, make sure Troopers Hill survives:
- bring water to put out the BBQ,
- heatproof gloves to handle it,
- something to put out an accidental fire
- take all your rubbish away.

Posted by Susan, Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:25 pm

<< Friends' Home Page | << Wildlife Page |

Friends of Troopers Hill
Website produced by the Friends of Troopers Hill

www.troopers-hill.org.uk