St George Strollers Past Walks
St George Strollers organise two walks per month, here is a list of all the walks we have run since we started in May 2011.
St George Strollers - November 2018
Wed 14th Nov - Old Market To Redfield
A linear walk alongside the River Avon taking in Sparke Evans & Netham Parks, ending at Church Road, Redfield.
Leader: Peter with Ray (BM) & Alan
Thursday 29th Nov - Southmead to Westbury-on-Trym
Repeat of a very popular walk. From Southmead Hospital we followed the River Trym through beautiful Badocks Wood and visited Canford Park before ending at Westbury-on-Trym’s war memorial.
Leader: June with Liz (BM) & Andy
St George Strollers - October 2018
174. Monday 8th October - Waters Meet
A linear walk following the sound of the Strad Brook down to the Avon past a new wildlife pond. The walk continues beside the Avon, leaving to visit a little known part of Avonview Cemetery before ending at Church Road, St George, close to the junction with Chalks Road.
Leader: Peter (standing in for Susan) with Pat (BM), Susan, Andy & Ray
Tuesday 23rd October - The Dings & Victoria Park
A linear walk, mainly on footpaths exploring The Dings then continuing to Temple Meads and then to Victoria Park, finishing at Windmill Hill City Farm.
Leader: Andy with Anne (BM) & Peter
St George Strollers - September 2018
172. Thursday 6th Sept - Bath Botanic Garden
A linear walk around Victoria Park and the Great Dell culminating in a short visit to the Botanic Gardens before moving on to Bath bus station via the Railway Path.
Leader: Peter with Liz (BM) & Richard
173. Fri 21st Sept - Harbourside
A circular walk around the Harbour starting at the Cascade Steps passing various points of interest including the Underfall Yard, SS Great Britain and M Shed.
Leader: Liz with Pat (BM) & Peter
St George Strollers - August 2018
170. Tuesday 7th Aug - Kingswood Onward
A linear walk through Kingswood Park, then on to Cock Ridge, through Barrs Court Moated Park to finish in Longwell Green at a First 45 bus stop. Some walked on to buy refreshments at Willsbridge Mill.
Leader: Susan with Julie (BM) & Alan
171. Wednesday 22nd Aug - Bishopston Ramble
By train for a circular wander around less well-known parts of Montpelier and Bishopston passing several stunning churches, before strolling along Lover’s Walk.Several moderate/steep inclines throughout.
Leader: June with Charlie (BM) & Andy
St George Strollers - July 2018
168. Thursday 5th July - Keynsham & River Chew
An almost circular walk starting at Keynsham Church. We walked in Memorial Park and on to the grassy banks of the River Chew, returning to the town centre.
Leader: Andy with Liz (BM) & Susan
169. Friday 20th July - Wells City Trail(s)
A 3 mile trail around the “posher” areas of this historic cathedral city. After a break, an optional 1.25 mile walk around the lesser known “poorer” parts of beautiful Wells.
Leader: June with Lynn (BM) & Peter
St George Strollers - June 2018
166. Monday 4th June - Lawrence Weston
A linear walk visiting Lawrence Weston Moor and, thanks to Bristol Museum, viewing the remains of Kings Weston Roman villa. Return to City Centre by bus before celebrating St George Strollers 7th birthday at an icecream parlour in Baldwin St.
Leader: Susan with Pat (BM) & Alan
167. Wednesday 20th June - Portishead Coastal Walk
After a 65min bus journey, a linear walk along the Mariner’s path to Battery Point, on to Jubilee Park & the marina, finishing opposite Wetherspoons.
Leader: Susan (standing in for Peter) with Andy (BM) & Liz
St George Strollers - May 2018
165. Thursday 10th May - Redland Circular Walk
Train to Clifton Down for a circular around Redland passing lovely buildings and through Redland Green, Westbury Park and Easter Gardens.
Leader: June with Charlie (BM) & Andy
Monday 21st May - A May Meander from Netham Pavilion
We Joined walkers from other East Bristol groups, and Walk Fest guests, on this partnership walk with 3 options. Refreshments provided afterwards.
St George Strollers - April 2018
163. Thursday 12th April - Historic Bath
A meander around the most iconic buildings and open spaces in Bath learning about the history of this beautiful city.
Leader: June with Lynn (BM) & Alan
164. Friday 27th April - Clifton
A circular walk around Clifton, starting at Victoria Square, passing Clifton College, Clifton Down, The Mall and along Birdcage Walk to return to the bus stop.
Leader: Andy with Julie (BM) & Peter
St George Strollers - March 2018
161. Monday 12th Mar - Pill Village
A linear walk taking in lanes, abandoned railway, riverside, history, modern parkland with sculptures.
Leader: Susan (for Peter) with Charlie (BM) & Susan C.
162. Tuesday 27th Mar - Malago Meander
Taking a bus to Bishopsworth Library we will then walked back to the M Shed following the River Malago along quiet footpaths connecting green spaces.
Leader: Susan with Alan (BM) & Richard
St George Strollers - February 2018
159. Thursday 8th Feb - Clevedon
A circular walk around historic Clevedon, taking in Poets Walk & the Marine Lake with the option to finish when we get back to the start or carry on to take in more of the historic features in the opposite direction—altogether 3 miles.
Leader: Liz with Pat (BM) & Peter
160. Friday 23rd Feb - A Dozen Green Spaces
A circular walk on pavements and good paths, revisiting some small parks and green spaces around central Bristol, St Pauls and St Werberghs.
Leader: June with Anne (BM) & Liz
St George Strollers - January 2018
157. Tuesday 9th Jan - Sculpture Trail in Central Bristol
A tour of public statues and sculptures. Proceeding through Queen Square, then Millennium Square, College Green, up to Christmas Steps returning to the City Centre.
Leader: Andy with Julie (BM) & Peter
158. Wed 24th Jan - Panorama Walk
A linear walk via Dundridge Park and hidden footpaths to discover what’s new at Panorama Walk. After enjoying the views we continued to Hanham to finish outside the Jolly Sailor.
Leader: Susan with Richard (BM) & Alan
St George Strollers - December 2017
155. Friday 1st Dec - Two Lakes
A watery linear walk passing lakes & following the Frome to end at Snuff Mills for a choice of buses to return home.
Leader: Susan with Alan (BM) & Peter
156. Monday 11th Dec - Christmas Walk
A circular, shorter than usual walk, looking at some new views of Troopers Hill. Followed by sharing snacks at our festive meeting.
Leader: Susan with Charlie (BM) & Andy
St George Strollers - November 2017
153. Wednesday 1st Nov - Greville Smyth Park
A circular walk to Greville Smyth Park via Cumberland Basin, finishing at the Underfall Yard.
Leader: Peter with Anne (BM) & Richard
154. Thursday 16th Nov - Harbourside
A linear walk from Cascade Steps via Prince Street Bridge and Welsh Back, Redcliffe Warf, Castle Park, Temple Church and finishing at Temple Meads.
Leader: Liz with Lynn (BM) & Alan
St George Strollers - October 2017
151. Monday 2nd Oct - Saltford
A circular walk, affording glorious views. Walking mostly through woods and fields on uneven, earthen paths. One long easy incline.
Leader: June with Julie (BM) & Peter
152. Tuesday 17th Oct - Clifton & The Downs
A linear walk with views of the Avon Gorge from the Downs, the Observatory and Suspension Bridge & back through Clifton. Some steep slopes & uneven downward steps cut into rock. Return to Broadmead by No 8 bus.
Leader: Peter with Andy (BM) & Alan
St George Strollers - September 2017
149. Friday 8th Sept - A Trail Around Thornbury
By 36 seater coach
This circular walk took in a streamside stroll, field tracks, a castle visit and the historical town centrewith time for lunch or a picnic.
150. Tuesday 19th Sept - Old Market To Redfield
A linear walk alongside the River Avon taking in Sparke Evans & Netham Parks, ending at Church Road, Redfield.
St George Strollers - August 2017
147. Wed 9th August - 8 Bristol Bridges
Crossing 8 bridges, passing through some small green spaces and meandering around central Bristol as we completed this circular walk.
148. Friday 25th August - Eastwood Farm Local Nature Reserve
A linear walk across Brislington Meadows to Eastwood Farm Local Nature Reserve. Lunch at Beese’s Riverside Bar. Ferry across the Avon to finish the walk through Conham Vale and Dundridge Park ending at the junction of the Kingsway and Bryant’s Hill.
St George Strollers - July 2017
145. Tuesday 11th July - Wicker Whales
A walk from Sea Mills railway station to Old Sneyd Park, Bennett’s Patch and White’s Paddock ending at Roman ruins on the Portway.
Leader: Peter (standing in for Susan)
146. Monday 24th July - Warmley Forest Park
A circular walk around Warmley Forest Park and beyond, taking in a northern section of the Dramway & retuning to the Waiting Room café.
St George Strollers - June 2017
143. Monday 5th June - Page Park
A linear walk taking in Siston Common and Rodway Common, ending with a walk around Page Park, Staple Hill.
144. Thursday 22nd June - Bradford–on-Avon
A repeat of our popular circular walk alongside the river and canal. After lunch an optional second, shorter walk around the town.
St George Strollers - May 2017
141. Friday 12th May - Discover the Gosey
For our 6th birthday walk, we visited the Gosey (Coombe Brook Valley) and then followed little known footpaths to end with light refreshments and a meeting in the back room of Summerhill Methodist Church, 5 Air Balloon Rd.
142. Thursday 25th May - From Water to Windmill
A short bus trip to our start point in Brislington to walk through 4 green spaces, enjoying views across the city, to our destination of Windmill Hill City Farm.
This walk was part of Bristol Walk Fest 2017
St George Strollers - April 2017
139. Monday 10th April - Easton Past and Present
A linear walk around Easton, ending at Old Market to see how Easton has changed over the years.
140. Wed 26th April - North Common
A circular walk from Warmley Station along the Dramway to North Common. Mostly off road or on quiet back roads.
St George Strollers - March 2017
136. Wed 15th Mar - “What’s New?”
We last did this circular walk through St George’s lesser known green spaces in 2012. Starting from Crofts End Church we saw new play areas and wood sculptures by Andy O’Neil. The walk ended at the St George Park entrance on Chalks Rd.
137. Mon 27th Mar - Unexpected Green Spaces In Northville
A circular walk, starting & ending at Southmead Hospital. On pavements & paths around Northville visiting several green spaces including the little known Poet’s Park and Millennium Green.
138. Thurs 30th March - East & Central Partnership Walk
St George Strollers led a 3 mile walk as part of the 'March Meet Up' of East Bristol Health Walk groups starting at The Beehive Centre.
There were also options of a 1 mile walk in St George Park and a 2 mile walk in St George Park & Avonview Cemetery led by other groups.
St George Strollers - February 2017
134. Mon 13th Feb - A Stroll Around East Clifton
A circular walk, on pavements, around East Clifton where we admired the beautiful buildings, a cathedral and several churches. The walk finished at Clifton Down shopping centre.
135. Tues 28th Feb - Brislington Brook to Whitchurch Airport
A linear walk following part of Brislington Brook and the Whitchurch Railway Path also visiting Whitchurch Green and then on to Whitchurch Airport where Hengrove Leisure Centre for hot drinks at the café. (The route was changed from that advertised due to muddy conditions at Stockwood Open Space).
St George Strollers - January 2017
132. Friday 13th Jan - Cascade Steps To Redfield
A simple linear walk along familiar paths following water from Cascade Steps, then up through Netham Park to finish at Redfield. On surfaced paths apart from Netham Park (grass).
133. Thurs 26th Jan - From Water to Windmill
This walk had to be changed due to New Brislington Bridge being closed and the 36 bus being diverted. However Susan was able to sort out an alternative route from the planned start point at the Pilemarsh bus stop to the planned destination of Windmill Hill City Farm via Barton Hill, the Dings and Victoria Park.
St George Strollers - December 2016
130. Fri 9th Dec - Warmley Railway & Ring Road Paths
A circular walk from the Waiting Room café along the Railway Path up to the old Mangotsfield Station & returning down the Ring Road Path to the café.
131. Tue 20th Dec - Christmas Walk
This shorter, linear walk from Kingswood Park to Wesley Memorial Church, through the beautiful Magpie Bottom ended with a Christmas celebration to share news and views for future walks.
St George Strollers - November 2016
128. Wed 16th Nov - Malago Greenway
A linear walk along the mostly flat Malago Greenway ending at the Imperial Park shopping centre.
129. Mon 28th Nov - Plaques in Central Bristol
A circular walk touring some of Bristol’s historic plaques. At the start, this walk involved some steps and a long climb up St Michael’s Hill, but we took it slowly. Then it was mainly flat and downhill.
St George Strollers - October 2016
126. Tues 11th Oct - Moon Temple
A circular walk to discover the “Moon Temple” on Royate Hill and a new memorial in May Park.
127.Thursday 27th Oct - Southmead to Westbury-on-Trym
A linear walk starting at Southmead Hospital folowing the River Trym through Tymside Open Space, Badocks Wood, and Canford Park before ending at the War Memorial in Westbury.
St George Strollers - September 2016
124. Fri 9th Sept - Blaise Estate to Sea Mills
Coach to Blaise Estate for a linear walk through the estate, alongside a brook then river to Sea Mills. Option to either get bus from Shirehampton Rd to City Centre or train from Sea Mills station to Lawrence Hill.
125. Mon 26th Sept - Two Parks & a Cemetery
A linear walk through Barton Hill, Netham Park, Sparke Evans Park & on to Arnos Vale Cemetery where there will be time to explore. Some steps (15) but can be avoided. Return by No.36 bus from Wick Rd, reached by a long incline up Sandy Park Rd.
St George Strollers - August 2016
122. Mon 8th Aug - Portishead
A circular walk taking in Portishead marina, coastal footpath and nature reserve which included bird viewing hides.
123. Thu 25th Aug - Stoke Park to Snuff Mills
A linear walk from the Hub at Lockleaze, BS7 9FB, across the beautiful Stoke Park estate finishing at Snuff Mills to take a choice of buses to return home.
St George Strollers - July 2016
120. Wed 6th July - Hanham Common to Bitton
A linear walk from Hanham Common, along the Avon Valley Woodlands & River Avon Trails ending at the Bitton Railway.
121. Tues 19th July - Our Industrial Past
A circular walk through Willsbridge & Bitton passing by a steam railway, a disused mill and the route taken by the coal from local mines on the Dramway, ending at Bitton Railway.
St George Strollers - June 2016
119. Fri 17th June - Bath River and Canalside
A popular circular walk taking in the river, canal and Sydney Park, and back to the bus station.
St George Strollers - May 2016
117. Mon 9th
May - Golden
118. Thu 26th
May - “These Boots are made for Walking”
St George Strollers - April 2016
115. Tue 12th
April - Snuff Mills
116. Wed 27th
April - Pilgrim’s
St George Strollers - March 2016
114. Wed 16th March - Clifton
St George Strollers - February 2016
113. Fri 19th February - Warmley Wander
St George Strollers - January 2016
112. Mon 18th January - Park to Park
St George Strollers - December 2015
110. Mon 7th Dec - Discover the Dings
111. Thu 17th Dec - Christmas Walk
St George Strollers Walks - November 2015
108. Tue 10th Nov - Haunted Bristol
109. Wed 25th Nov - Kingswood Deer
St George Strollers Walks - October 2015
106. Wed 7th Oct - Pocket Parks
107. Fri 23rd Oct - Weavers Mill to Troopers Hill and back
St George Strollers Walks - September 2015
104. Wed 9th
Sept - Bradford on
105. Wed 23rd
Sept - Kelston
Bitton train station
St George Strollers Walks - August 2015
102. Fri 14th
Aug - Weavers Mill to Troopers Hill
103. Tue 25th Aug - Horfield and
St George Strollers Walks - July 2015
100. Mon 13th
July - 100th walk
“Here be Dragons!”
101. Wed 29th
July - Harbourside
St George Strollers Walks - June 2015
98. Fri 12th
June - Warmley and
99. Tue 23rd
June - Bath River and
St George Strollers Walks - May 2015
96. Mon 11th
May - 4th Birthday
97. Tue 26th
May - Lamplighters
St George Strollers Walks - April 2015
94. Thu 9th
April - Netham to Temple Meads and back
95. Mon 27th
April - Dundridge
St George Strollers Walks - March 2015
92. Tue 10th
March - Street Monsters
93. Fri 27th
March - Montpelier to
Muller Rd and
St George Strollers Walks - February 2015
90. Mon 2nd
February - The Primrose
91. Tue 17th
February - Across St
St George Strollers Walks - January 2015
88. Thu 8th
- Opening Doors
89. Wed 21st
January - Tyntesfield
St George Strollers Walks - December 2014
86. Thurs 4th
Cossham Hospital and Hillfields
87. Fri 19th
St George Strollers Walks - November 2014
St Anne’s Park
St George Strollers Walks - October 2014
82. Fri 3rd October Chew Valley
83. Wed 15th October
Eight Bridges Walk
84. Mon 27th
St George Strollers Walks - September 2014
80. Fri 12th Sept Crews Hole and
Conham’s Copper Smelting History
81. Wed 24th
September - Purdown Hill
St George Strollers Walks - August 2014
78. Thurs 7th Aug - Warmley to Willsbridge
79. Tue 26th
Aug - Wick Golden
St George Strollers Walks - July 2014
76. Fri 11th July - Snuff Mills and Oldbury Court
77. Mon 21st July - Stockwood
Open Space Local Nature Reserve
St George Strollers Walks - June 2014
74. Mon 9th June - Arnos Vale Cemetery
75. Tue 24th June - Dame Sylvia Crowe Walk
St George Strollers Walks - May 2014
72. Thurs 8th May - Stapleton Rd to Cabot Circus via St Werburghs
73. Fri 23rd May - Birthday Walk - Troopers Hill/Summerhill Ramble
St George Strollers Walks - April 2014
70. Fri 11th April - 8 Bridges in Bristol
71. Wed 23rd April - St George’s Day Walk
St George Strollers Walks - March 2014
68. Thursday 13th March - Ashton Court - Deer Walk
69. Wednesday 26th March - Literary history tour of Clifton Village and the environs
St George Strollers Walks - February 2014
66. Monday 10th February - Statues of Bristol
67. Tuesday 25th February - Wain Brook Wander
St George Strollers Walks - January 2014
64. Friday 10th January - Cotham and Kingsdown
65. Wednesday 22nd January - Sea Mills to Durdham Down
St George Strollers Walks - December 2013
62. Monday 9th December - Harbourside and Hotwells
63. Thursday 19th December - St George Park and Avonview Cemetary
St George Strollers Walks - November 2013
60. Monday 11th November - Remembrance Day Walk
61. Wednesday 27th November - Lawrence Hill to Eastville Park Circular Walk
St George Strollers Walks - October 2013
58. Wednesday 9th October - Wild Fest on the Northern Slopes
59. Friday 25th October - Bath River and Canalside Walk
St George Strollers Walks - September 2013
56. Monday 9th September - Willsbridge
57. Wednesday 25th September - Walk for
Health Anniversary Walk
St George Strollers Walks - August 2013
54. Friday 9th August - River walk to Dundridge via Beese’s
55. Tuesday 27th August - Kingswood to Hanham
St George Strollers Walks - July 2013
52. Wednesday 10th July - Warmley and Mangotsfield
53. Thurday 25th July - Keynsham to Avon Valley Railway Station
St George Strollers Walks - June 2013
50. Wednesday 12th June
51. Monday 24th June - Severn
St George Strollers Walks - May 2013
48. Friday 10th May - Clifton and Redland Walk
A chance to visit the beautiful and historic Redland Church with a
member of the congregation as guide. Later we explored the
area around Blackboy Hill and enjoyed a community garden.
49. Wednesday 29th May - Snuff Mills
St George Strollers Walks - April 2013
46. Monday 8th April - Dundridge
47. Tue 23rd April - St
George's Day Blaise Castle
St George Strollers Walks - March 2013
44. Monday 4th March - Avon
45. Wednesday 20th March - Magpie Bottom
St George Strollers Walks - February 2013
42. Friday 8th February - Stoke Park
43. Thursday 21st February - Bristol
St George Strollers Walks - January 2013
41. Monday 7th January - Barton Hill
Wednesday 23rd January - Redland
St George Strollers Walks - December 2012
39. Tuesday 4th December - Avon Gorge
40. Tuesday 18th December - Pre-Christmas Walk & meeting
St George Strollers Walks - November 2012
37. Monday 12th November - Page Park, Staple Hill
38. Friday 23rd November - Harbourside and Heretics
St George Strollers Walks - October 2012
35. Friday 12th October - Kings Weston
36. Wednesday 31st October - Haunted Bristol
St George Strollers Walks - September 2012
33. Monday 10th September - Bitton to Swineford
34. Tuesday 25th September - North Common Walk
St George Strollers Walks - August 2012
31. Friday 10th August - Eastwood Farm
32. Wednesday 29th August - M Shed Walk
St George Strollers Walks - July 2012
29. Tuesday 10th July - Northern
30. Wednesday 25th July - Kelston Round Top
St George Strollers Walks - June 2012
27. Wed 13 June - St Phillips Greenway
28. Fri 29th June Walled
St George Strollers Walks - May 2012
25. Fri 11th May - Warmley
26. Mon 21st May - Birthday
St George Strollers Walks - April 2012
23. Tue 10th April - Warmley Wander
24. Mon 23rd April - St George’s
There is a video showing the Bath House on our Video Project page.
St George Strollers Walks - March 2012
21. Thur 15th March - Deep Pit Mine and Coal walk
22. Wed 28th March Stapleton to St George
St George Strollers Walks - February 2012
19. Mon 13th February City Walls Walk
20. Wed 29th February Discover the Dings
St George Strollers Walks - January 2012
17. Wed 11th January Brandon Hill
18. Fri 27th January Meadow Vale
St George Strollers Walks - December 2011
15. Tuesday 7th December Harbourside Walk
16. Tues 13th December Christmas Walk
St George Strollers Walks - November 2011
13. Wednesday 2nd November St George Park Walk & Planning Meeting
14.Friday 11th November Remembrance Walk
St George Strollers Walks - October 2011
11. Monday 10th October Cock Rd Ramble - A wander around the Cock Rd Ridge Open Space, ending with a visit to the cafe in Grimsbury Farm for tea and coffee.
12. Wednesday 19th October Wild City Walk - A visit to South Bristol's Hengrove Mounds, which used to be an airfield but is now a major area for wildlife. Thanks to Paula from the Wild City Project for leading this walk and telling us about the site.
St George Strollers Walks - September 2011
8. Monday 12th September Hanham History Walk - An exploration of Hanham with Roy Crew
9. Friday 16th September Bat Detecting - an evening walk in Netham Park.
10. Friday 30th September Partnership Walk - With other walking groups from across Bristol on a walk through Nightingale Valley and St. Annes Woods.
St George Strollers Walks - August 2011
6. Thur 11th Aug Troopers Hill - A wet evening, but a good turnout for the Strollers first evening walk. As well as Troopers Hill, we visited Dundridge Park.
7. Wed 24th Aug Wick Golden Valley - A short bus trip for a walk in this wonderful Local Nature Reserve in South Glos followed by lunch in the local pub.
St George Strollers Walks - July 2011
4. Mon 4th July Willsbridge Wander - a short bus trip followed by an exploration of Willsbridge LNR in hot sunshine.
5. Wed 20th July Avon Aquatic Wander - A walk around Wyatts View Open Space and Netham Park was followed by a return boat trip on historic boat Redshank to Beeses Riverside Bar and Tea Gardens to enjoy a singing event as part of the Wild River Festival. Thanks to St George Neighbourhood Partnership for funding the boat trip from their 'Wellbeing' fund.
Tue 21st June 2011 - St George Strollers Walk
3. The first of the group's regular walks was a 'Soltice Saunter' visiting, St George Park, Royate Hill LNR and Eastville Park.
Mon 23rd May 2011 - St George Strollers Taster Walk
2. This second taster walk for the St George Strollers visited Magpie Bottom followed by refreshments at Wesley Memorial Church Hall.
Wed 11th May 2011 - St George Strollers Launch Walk
1. This first walk for the St George Strollers included St George Park and Avonview followed by refreshments at St George Labour Club.
Website produced by the Friends of Troopers Hill|