Inspiring educational experiences
Natural Learners Free drop-in events for families
Fun, wildlife, exploration, crafts and more! Bring a picnic
• Tuesday 21 August 11-2pm
• Friday 31 August 11-2pm
• Saturday 29th September 11-2pm
• Monday 29th October 11-2pm (October half term)
Wild Play toddler group - Tuesdays 10.30am to 12 noon.
These sessions will restart on Tuesday 11th September after a break for the school holidays and run until Tuesday 23rd October.
Spaces are limited so booking is essential
The Natural Learners project began in 2017 and aims to encourage local residents to develop a connection with the natural world by providing inspiring educational experiences on Troopers Hill.
The project is run by environmental educators Mali Kedward and Amy Stone
Working with Friends of Troopers Hill, Mali and Amy have now secured funding from The Nineveh Charitable Trust to enable the continuation of the project in 2018.
In 2017 Mali & Amy trialled a series of sessions for families and school children, including:
• 10 ‘Wild Play’ sessions (morning sessions for pre-schoolers, 0-4 years old, and their parents/carers)
• 8 ‘Outdoor Explorer’ sessions (after-school sessions for children aged 4-8, and their parents/carers)
• 1 School session (with 30 Year 5 pupils visiting Troopers Hill from Summerhill Academy)
The family sessions proved popular, attracting 291 attendances in total (including children, parents and grandparents).
Fifty-one children aged 0-7 participated in the family sessions.
Feedback from participants was very encouraging:
• ‘All children were able to retain new information learnt. The activities suited a variety of learners, using visual, kinesthetic and auditory approaches.’ (Year 5 Teacher from Summerhill Academy)
• ‘We really enjoyed the group and it was the only activity we did regularly.’ (parent - Wild Play)
• ‘A great relaxed group with lots to entertain and excite children. Good opportunity to involve risk in safe controlled setting with fab helpers.’ (parent - Wild Play)
• ‘It is a lovely group. We often come to Troopers Hill but rarely for so long.’ (parent - Outdoor Explorers)