<< Friends' Home Page | << Fungi Page |

Fungi on Troopers Hill now

--- Posting from our now closed Forum ---
The brown roll-rim fungi is out and looking very healthy just like last year www.troopers-hill.org.uk/youngfriends/Summerhill10.htm.

During today's work party we saw a whole host of fungi. If you know the names please let us know. In Sally's glade there were these fungi in various stages of decomposition which may or not be puffballs.

Nearby was this one given a bit of scale by Helen's finger. Image

Still on the path from Sally's glade were these. This time given scale by a penknife.

Walking back through the gully we found layers of these large fungi

Finally we passed what we think are two very tired Blewitts.

I will print these out ready for our guided walk on 30th October, in the hope that the photos have enough detail for fungi expert Justin Smith to identify them.

Posted by Susan, Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:05 pm

On my way home from welcoming this year's Summerhill School year 3 classes to Troopers Hill I found these fungi in the gully. Looking at my book and checking other pictures on the internet I think they are Lemon Peel Fungus (Otidea onotica) which has not appeared in previous surveys of fungi on Troopers Hill. To me they looked more like pasta shapes than lemon peel.
Magnified pictures.

Posted by Susan, Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:53 pm

I was a little worried when all I found in early October was a very tired, past its best, example of fly agaric in the place where theye are usually abundant. However on Friday, Deborah, one of the Friends of Troopers Hill, that there were loads growing. Sure enough, but somewhat later in the year than 2010 and 2009, there are fly agaric covering a wide area. Some of them are more that 6 inches (15cm) in diameter.

Last year, at a work party, Liz spotted some yellow fungi which we were able to point out to Justin Smith when he led the 2010 Fungi Foray. This year I spotted them growing in the same area. "Easy" I thought, "Just look up the species list from last year and I'll know what they are." Not so easy - Justin's report for last year
http://www.troopers-hill.org.uk/Flora/FungiReport2010.pdf lists 2 very similar looking fungi,
Clavulinopsis luteoalba (orange club)
http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/clavulinopsis-luteoalba and
Clavulinopsis helvola (yellow club)
http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/fungi-forums/6480-clavulinopsis-helvola.html.

Have a look at these and make up your own mind what they are

The small hairy leaved plant that the fungi is growing through is mouse eared hawkweed.

Here are a couple of fungi for which I have no names

and I am daring to call this one a puffball, but which one I have no idea.

Posted by Susan, Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:34 pm

<< Friends' Home Page | << Fungi Page |

Friends of Troopers Hill
Website produced by the Friends of Troopers Hill

www.troopers-hill.org.uk